The project list contains the current work in progress. For more information about the projects, contact the project manager.
- SPONSOR(S): Mike Barker
- DEPT OR DIVISION: ITS - VC - CIO
- PROJECT MANAGER: Kim Stahl, Matthew Mauzy
- STATUS: Not Started (as of 1/12/2022)
This project will define incident type categories, and for each category, identify:
- the corresponding responsible units,
- the applicable governing law and University policies, and
- the methods of reporting incidents
This project will also develop guidance for users so they can easily access, understand, and follow processes in compliance with governing law and UNC-CH Incident Management Policy. Secondary goals include improving coordination between campus “incident” authorities, reducing risk, and identifying gaps in our processes. When we identify policies, authorities, and reporting methods that conflict with each other, we will resolve the conflicts. We also expect that we will be able to identify efficiencies by going through the process of defining incident type categories.
UNC Budget Tool
- EXECUTIVE SPONSOR(S): Mike Barker
- SPONSOR(S): Nate Knuffman, Steve Agostini, Mechelle Clayton
- DEPT OR DIVISION: ITS Enterprise Applications
- TECHNICAL LEAD: Amardeep Nijjar
- PROJECT MANAGER: Don Hepp, Becky Arnold
- STATUS: In Progress
The purpose of the project is to implement a 3rd party solution to allow UNC to do capital budgeting, the annual budgeting cycle, and associated reporting across the Enterprise. Currently, we use resource intensive manual processes to do UNC’s budgeting, which has led to a reduced ability to properly plan for large capital expenditures. The success of this project will be measured by the ability of UNC to handle the annual 2023 budgeting cycle with the new 3rd party solution. We will get a better picture of the work effort required by different ITS teams once we get past the Request for Proposals (RFP) stage. Groups that we expect to be involved in the project are:
- Office of the CIO
- Enterprise Applications
- Identity Management
- Information Security
- Infrastructure & Operations
- User Services and Engagement
Don Hepp and Becky Arnold are jointly leading this project for EA, on behalf of Finance, and are working very closely with that leadership team at every step. As this project progresses, they will reach out to various ITS groups to solidify how they need to be involved, and get work effort estimates, as well as specific resource commitments. This project needs to be implemented by end Sept 2022 in order to be in place for the next cycle of UNC Annual Budgeting.
Governance, Risk and Compliance for ServiceNow
- SPONSOR(S): Dennis Schmidt
- DEPT OR DIVISION: ITS Information Security
- PROJECT MANAGER: Mel Radcliffe
- STATUS: Not Started
Implement the GRC module in ServiceNow and evaluate functionality with focus on:
- Vendor risk management
- Policy compliance
- BAA/contract repository
- Risk assessment workflow
This is a combination of implementation (of a ServiceNow module) and “discovery” of suitability of functionality. The destination and end-product depends on the results of that discovery. Staff impacted would include those who request risk assessments and those who work on those requests. If the vendor management work bears fruit, this could impact vendors, as well.
Reconciliation of Outside Plant Documentation
- SPONSOR(S): John Mack
- DEPT OR DIVISION: ITS - IT Infrastructure
- TECHNICAL LEAD: Danny Nguyen
- STATUS: In progress
This project aims to provide a digital platform that handles the end-to-end fiber management at UNC. The project will (1) modernize Transport Operations fiber management, and 2) develop a continuous process for reconciling Campus ArcGIS Fiber maps. The main drivers are:
- Replace Transport Ops spreadsheet management system with an industry-standard software solution for operationalizing map data. This new system will eliminate bottlenecks, documentation debts, and communications silos.
- Reconcile ArcGIS fiber information with information stored in Excel spreadsheets. Facilities Planning and Network Engineering needs this information to plan and budget capital projects.
- Create an automated process that makes it easy for continuous updates from the field as Transport Operations makes updates to campus fiber, including establishing an internal owner or point-of-contact of the GIS database for CommTech fiber. That person has the authority to request updates and “as-built” documentation from field crew technicians in a timely manner.
Phase I of Carolina Talent Performance was implemented last year, but the performance appraisals were still being done on paper forms. For the 2021-2022 performance period we are implementing online performance … Continued
When UNC migrated to Microsoft 365, we implemented an on-premises infrastructure called “Active Directory Federation Services” (ADFS) to support authentication into Microsoft 365. ADFS addressed security concerns around syncing passwords … Continued
Phase one of the Background Check project went live in May 2021, but a second phase is needed. Phase two has multiple parts. First, our contract with CastleBranch, the existing … Continued
This project supported a new registration process for undergraduate students designed by the Operational Excellence Registration Changes committee. The changes provided more equitable and consistent processes for assigning registration appointments. … Continued
The PHP platform that the Software Distribution service operated on was no longer supported by the vendor, so this project upgraded the platform. The project also transitioned support of the … Continued