Service DescriptionThe Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner. ITS provides Shibboleth for web authentication and authorization.
- Provide a highly available Identity Provider (IdP) for Onyens and UNC guest ids
- IdP provides single sign on service to Service Provider (SP) protected web applications
- ITS-IDMGMT group provides assistance setting up Service Providers for new applications
- ITS-IDMGMT group runs Service Providers for most enterprise applications (Connect Carolina, Blackboard, ITS hosted web applications)
Hours of AvailabilityThis service is available 24x7 and the UNC IdP is highly available, with service provided from multiple servers and data centers. Assistance with new application Service Providers is available during normal business hours.
Entire campus as well as off campus affiliates.
- Clients must remember to log out, and closing all browser instances after logging out is recommended.
- Web application owners must work with ITS-IDMGMT when setting up Service Providers.
- Access by Service Providers to personally identifiable information vi Shibboleth must be cleared by ITS-SECURITY.
How Do We Charge
- Shibboleth is provided without charge.
How To Request More Information On Or Request The Service
- Submit a Remedy request to ITS-IDMGMT
- Basic information about Shibboleth is available from http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/