Enrolling in 2-Step Verification takes just 10 minutes and helps to keep you and the University secure.
Not sure what it is, how to enroll in it, and what it means for campus? Learn more about UNC Chapel Hill’s 2-Step services and supported devices.
Duo is the software platform that UNC uses to facilitate the 2-Step process. Duo Security adds 2-Step Verification to services at UNC use Onyen and passwords to login.
Register for Duo
Why wait? 2-Step is already required for W2 online viewing and more services are soon to follow. Register now and save yourself time later.
Documentation on 2-Step Verification is available by visiting help.unc.edu/duo.Visit help.unc.edu
About 2-Step at UNC
Learn more about how we use 2-Step Verification and how it keeps us safe.
What is 2-Step Verification?
Don’t be confused by its many names — multifactor authentication, two-factor, or 2-Step verification — just think of it as another layer of protection for your most vital accounts. When you activate two-factor authentication, you will be required to log in with both your password and an additional security measure, such as:
- a code delivered via text, voice call or mobile app
- a call to your VoIP phone
- a push (or pop-up) notification on your smartphone
The main benefit of activating 2-Step is a significant increase in protection of your account from hackers. Here’s how that happens:
- 2-Step adds an extra barrier between your personal information and the bad guys. To access your account, they would need to know your username and password as well as a security code.
- 2-Step can help keep attackers from accessing your email, documents, payroll, personal information, or research data.
- 2-Step requires a unique security code each time your account is accessed on an untrusted device, application or web browser.
- If you receive a security code or push notification when you are not trying to log in to your account, you’ll immediately know that someone else is trying to. That means you should change your password!
What is Duo?
Learn about Duo Security, our platform of choice for facilitating 2-Step Verification
We use Duo to protect services that use our Shibboleth login services. Shibboleth may not be a name you know, but you use it to log in to services like ConnectCarolina, Office 365 and more.
Duo Security adds 2-Step Verification to services at UNC. When you activate Duo, you will be required to log in with both your password and then an additional security measure, such as a code delivered via text or mobile app or a push (or pop-up) notification on your smartphone.
The recommended method for 2-Step Verification is to use your smartphone or tablet with the Duo Mobile app installed. The first step is to download and install the Duo Mobile app. Search for Duo Mobile in your app store and follow the directions on your smartphone or tablet for installing the app.