WebDotUNC Self-Service WordPress
Web.unc.edu is a self-service web-publishing solution. Members of the campus community with an Onyen can create their own websites at no cost. The service runs on the WordPress platform, which provides powerful features and functionality while ensuring it is easy to use. All websites are hosted on enterprise-level hardware and supported by ITS Digital Services.
- Enables users to create a site in minutes
- Requires no coding
- Provides automatic saves and revision history, eliminating lost work
- Provides a unique UNC domain name: example.web.unc.edu
- Powered by the popular WordPress content-management system
- Provides ready-to-use responsive UNC template (Heelium theme)
- Supports documents specific for the UNC-Chapel Hill community
- Backed by enterprise hardware and ITS staff
Any faculty, staff or student with an active Onyen.
Any faculty, staff or student with an active Onyen can visit web.unc.edu and immediately create a site. Users are able to select their website URL prefix (ex. Sitename.web.unc.edu).
- WordPress has two environments: Development and Production. Development is an unstable environment used primarily for testing theme/plugin updates prior to deployment and may be offline or wiped without prior notice.
- 11 themes available for use. Heelium encouraged.
- 46 plugins available for activation.
- Custom plugins and themes are not currently permitted.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
- Critical = 15 minutes, 8-5 M-F
- Important = 24 hours, 8-5 M-F
- General = 72 hours, 8-5 M-F
- New site creation rate
- Abandoned site percentage
- Average response time for page load
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- Uptime - 99.9% (8.75 hours of downtime/year)
- Average response time for page load - < 1 second
- Wednesday mornings 6-10AM for regular maintenance and upgrades
- Upgrades with high-risk/impact or high urgency may be completed outside of this window
Hours Of Operation
- Site owners and contributing users must comply with the standards set by the Information Security Office for storing and publishing data.
- Should not publish sensitive data. See: http://help.unc.edu/help/what-is-sensitive-data/
- Site owners and contributing users are responsible for obtaining all permissions that may be necessary to incorporate works of third parties in their site. Use of such works may be permitted by principles of fair use, consistent with copyright laws (see, http://help.unc.edu/help/unc-chapel-hill-copyright-information-and-policies/)
- Site owners are responsible for ownership continuity and must ensure that a site has an active UNC affiliated owner.
Out of Scope
- Subdomain management — users that wish to use a primary UNC subdomain (ex. Website.unc.edu) must contact IP Services and sign an MOU. Digital Services can assist with the actual domain mapping via a support ticket to ITS-DIGITAL-SERVICES.