Identity Finder is a commercial product the University purchased to scan faculty, staff and select student laptops and desktops to locate sensitive information. It is configured to search for, and locate, the following identities:
- Social Security number
- Credit card number
Identity Finder also is available to scan UNC-Chapel Hill file storage and websites.
For additional scope, please refer to this web page: http://its.unc.edu/security/project-sir/.
Students, faculty, staff, and retirees, who store sensitive, University-owned information.
ITS Security encourages the campus-wide use of Identity Finder. Anyone interested in using Identity Finder should contact their local IT support staff, who can then help install the appropriate version of software.
Windows and Macintosh systems are supported, per the vendor’s support site: http://www.identityfinder.com/kb/General-Reference/007752
For specific information regarding the use of Identity Finder on each platform, please see the following links:
Technical Support Contact Information
Technical support for sensitive data management services is provided by contacting the ITS Service Desk by any of the following methods:
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
- Critical = tickets will be acknowledged within 15 minutes after receipt.
- Important = tickets will be acknowledged within 8 business hours after receipt.
- General = tickets will be acknowledged within 3 business days after receipt.
- Critical ticket: ISO considers a ticket critical when there is a work stoppage (e.g. outage) impacting: (1) a University business or business service; or (2) an employee responsible for completing mission critical work.
- Important ticket: A request for support in the normal course of University business.
- General ticket: A request for information regarding configuration or performance (e.g. troubleshooting, request for logs, etc).
Weekly Identity Finder reports are generated and delivered to individuals, upon request, across the campus. These reports include:
- Weekly Elevator Report - senior ITS management
- Weekly All Campus Workstation Executive Report - senior ITS management
- Weekly Departmental Workstation Executive Report - campus staff
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
The goal is to ensure that reports are delivered in a timely and accurate manner with at least 95% reliability.
Maintenance windows will be observed:
- Monday through Sunday between 5-8am.
- The established change management process in ITS will be followed. A change plan will be generated at least 14 days prior to the change with the exception of emergency changes that need to be made in order to, recover from, or directly prevent an outage.
Hours Of Operation
- The Information Security Office business hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM on days that the University operates.
- 24/7 on-call support is available for critical tickets.
Users of the Identity Finder software are responsible for the following:
- Understanding the data that they are working with.
- Understanding where secure storage is available.
- Running scans on their laptop or desktop.
- Completing remediation of the matches found.
- If sensitive information is found, it should either be deleted (if no longer needed) or moved to a secure storage location.
OtherIf a computer that has Identity Finder installed on it is surplused or no longer using the software, a ticket with severity of “Important” should be submitted to the ITS-SIR Remedy queue with the request to remove the computer from the Identity Finder system This will ensure that reporting is accurate. All scan data will be lost.
Out of Scope
Non-university owned laptops or desktops are out of scope unless University-owned sensitive information is stored on the device in order to conduct University business.