Secure Network-Attached Storage (SecNAS)
ITS offers SecNAS (Secure Networked-Attached Storage) file storage services for sensitive data. The technology also provides access logs to track user activity as requested to meet auditing requirements. The service is provided on enterprise-class storage with a mirrored copy in a second data center and the data is encrypted at rest. The service includes a snapshot technology that enables users to perform their own data restorations from up to 30 days of file versioning.
\\-Provides CIFS (Common Internet File Services) storage for departmental use.
-Departments receive a free base allocation calculated on the full-time equivalent (FTE) count derived from human resources reporting.
-The base allocation is 1GB per FTE and can be increased for a fee.
-ITS will partner with departmental storage administrators to offer a hybrid solution for managing data access controls.
-Access to sensitive data requires specialized approval workflows and documentation.
-The service is modeled to meet the requirements of the UNCH Information Security Controls Standard: (https://unc.policystat.com/policy/4620063/latest/)
secnas.unc.edu is available to UNC-Chapel Hill faculty, staff, students, retirees, contractors, distance learners, visiting scholars and others who require UNC-Chapel Hill resources to work in conjunction with UNC-Chapel Hill as provisioned by departmental storage administrators.
secnas.unc.edu - Remedy request via ITS Help (http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/)
- Native support for Windows and Mac clients.
- UNIX/Linux hosts require the Samba client.
- Off campus access requires VPN.
- 1GB per FTE at no charge
- Additional storage is available at an annual cost of $3.00 per GB (minimum of 200GB)
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
Service Level response times to service requests are measured by when a request is submitted to the ITS-Systems remedy group. Other forms of contact may affect the ability to address the request in a timely fashion.
- Critical = 1 hour, 24/7
- Important = 1 Business day, 8-5 M-F
- General = 3 Business days, 8-5 M-F
ITS-Systems collects data on:
- Service Availability
- Secure Storage Utilization
- Customer Secure Storage Quota Threshold
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- Availability 99.9%
- Utilization Total storage used/Total Storage Available
- Storage Quota threshold
Maintenace for the SecNAS environment is performed as needed depending on patch releases from the vendor. Patching generally occurs every 6 months. All maintenance impacting storage.unc.edu and myfiles.unc.edu will be announced a minimum of 14 days in advance, according to established change management procedures. Patches for the environment are transparent. They are generally performed 8am-Noon on Saturdays to minimize impacts if issues arise from patching.
Hours Of Operation
- secnas.unc.edu is a 24/7 service.
- ITS Systems has a standby rotation to deal with critical issues after normal business hours. The Service Desk business hours are 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 am, Monday through Friday, with limited after hours support during off hours.
- The ITS Service Desk services are not offered during official university closings but customers can still submit their requests via the web at http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/. (Adverse Weather Policy: http://hr.unc.edu/policies-procedures-systems/spa-employee-policies/leave-and-holidays/adverse-weather-spa/)
- Departments must identify a primary storage administrator to manage their storage allocation
- Departments manage security groups (Note: ITS manages file permissions based on these groups)
- Departments will submit Remedy requests for permissions changes in the file system.
- Adhere to applicable University IT Policies, Procedures and Guidelines