Remote Network Connectivity
UNC departments or organizations that move to remote locations from the University’s main campus will be required to coordinate with ITS Communication Technologies for network connectivity back to campus. Network connectivity options can be expensive and time frames for implementation can be lengthy, requiring a minimum 3 -6 months or longer from the time that a service request is received.
Options for network connectivity are:
- Campus Fiber (where available)
- High Speed Internet Services:
- Spectrum Road Runner
- Spectrum Direct Fiber (DOCIS)
- AT&T U-Verse
High-Speed Internet Services are the responsibility of the department to provide.
A VPN appliance is required (purchased and maintained by Comm Tech Networking) for customers wanting to subscribe to UNC VoIP phones using high-speed internet services. Regardless of the location of the remote site, UNC local phone numbers are required. Phone numbers will change for customers that are moving from on-campus locations.
- Metro Ethernet:
- Sourced and provisioned by outside service providers.
- Rates and contractual terms are determined by the service provider (rates include an additional UNC overhead cost of 17%).
- Cost estimates, UNC engineering requirements, and coordination with outside service providers are all provided by Comm Tech once a service request is received.
- Microwave technology – available only in specific cases where a location is somewhat near to campus and a “line of sight” is available
Faculty and Staff
SERVICE REQUESTS for moves, adds, changes or disconnection of service are required to be submitted as an online Service Requisition at: http://telreq.unc.edu/telreq.
Customers must provide a valid UNC chartfieldstring account in order to submit the service request, as one-time and recurring charges could apply. If you have trouble submitting the request, it is likely due to the fact that you do not have permissions, or purchasing authority, within ConnectCarolina against the chartfieldstring account you are attempting to use. This issue will need to be resolved with your department business officer.
REPAIR: Online Help Request
Customers that are planning to move to a remote location to the UNC campus and require network connectivity back to campus will be required to coordinate with Comm Tech Networking, Engineering and Voice Services.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @uncservicedesk
- Facebook: uncservicedesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: uncservicedesk
SLA Response Times
- Metro Ethernet can require a minimum of 3-6 months or longer.
- Delivery of service is determined by Comm Tech and (in some cases) outside service provider assessments to determine feasibility, construction requirements, procurement, design and implementation.
- Service Delivery TBD.
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
All UNC required maintenance will be announced a minimum of 14 days in advance, according to established change management procedures. Service provider maintenance schedules are not known unless published by the service provider but are most often scheduled during a maintenance window of midnight to 6AM, M-F.
Hours Of Operation
ITS Voice Services Business Hours are 7:30AM-4:30PM, Monday through Friday. Customers can continue to submit online Web Requisitions during off hours at https://its.unc.edu/requestuc and they will be acknowledged the next business day. ITS Voice Services is closed during official University closings and holidays. You can also contact the ITS Service Desk to submit a request.
ITS Service Desk: