Network Time Protocol (NTP)
NTP enables computers to synchronize clocks.
If the computer uses DHCP, it automatically uses our NTP servers without user intervention. Very few users configure NTP directly.
Please visit the help article at Campus Network Time Protocol (NTP) Servers for manual NTP configuration options.
NTP is supported by most platforms, but is rarely accessed by the end user directly.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
For client submitted issues:
- Critical = 15 minutes, 24x7 *
- Important = 3 hour, 8-5 M-F (excluding holidays)
- General = 24 hours business hours, 8-5 M-F (excluding holidays)
- Our services are monitored 24x7x365.
- We are notified upon most service failures, and treat service outages as critical events require the service managers / process owners to begin working on the problem within 15 minutes of notification unless we deem the problem to be low impact (little to no client impact)
* Critical tickets require that the client be reachable via phone and that the phone number is documented in the ticket. Any client that does not respond to phone queries will have their ticket downgraded to important. If the issue requires networking to rely on an outside vendor for assistance, we may be unable to meet the posted response times.
For service related issues:
NTP Clock Synchronization.
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
NTP Sync within 2 seconds of actual time.
This service is governed under the ITS Change Plan process. Please see this site for details:
Hours Of Operation
Configure computer for DHCP (which usually means leaving it at defaults).
This service is governed under the applicable Acceptable Use Policy, which can be found on the following site:
If users submit a critical ticket, they must include a telephone number for call back and must answer when someone from networking calls, or that ticket will be downgraded to important.
Out of Scope
We do not support off-campus NTP. We do not support PTP.