Network-Attached Storage (NAS)
ITS offers a NAS (Networked-Attached Storage) file-storage service for non-sensitive data called storage.unc.edu. The service is provided on enterprise-class storage with a mirrored copy in a second data center. The service uses a snapshot technology that enables users to perform their own data restorations from up to 30 days of file versioning.
-NAS is not rated for sensitive data storage. Sensitive data is out of scope for this service.
-Provides CIFS (Common Internet File Services) storage for departmental use.
-Departments receive a free base allocation calculated on the full-time equivalent (FTE) count derived from human resources reporting.
-The base allocation is 10GB per FTE and can be increased for a fee.
-Administration of access controls for the storage is delegated to departmental storage administrators via active directory security groups.
storage.unc.edu is available to UNC-Chapel Hill faculty, staff, students, retirees, contractors, distance learners, visiting scholars and others who require UNC-Chapel Hill resources to work in conjunction with UNC-Chapel Hill as provisioned by departmental administrators.
- storage.unc.edu - Service Now request via (https://help.unc.edu).
- Native support for Windows and Mac clients.
- UNIX/Linux hosts require the Samba client.
- Off campus access requires VPN.
- 10GB per FTE at no charge
- Additional storage is available at an annual cost of $1.50 per GB (minimum of 200GB)
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: https://help.unc.edu
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
Service Level response times to service requests are measured by when a request is submitted to the ITS-Systems remedy group. Other forms of contact may affect the ability to address the request in a timely fashion.
- Critical = 1 hour, 24/7
- Important = 1 Business day, 8-5 M-F
- General = 3 Business days, 8-5 M-F
ITS-Systems collects data on:
- Service Availability
- Storage Utilization
- Customer Storage Quota Threshold
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- Availability /99.9%
- Utilization Total storage used/Total Storage Available
- Storage Quota threshold
Maintenance for the NAS environment is performed as needed depending on patch releases from the vendor. Patching generally occurs every 6 months. All maintenance impacting storage.unc.edu will be announced a minimum of 14 days in advance, according to established change management procedures. Patches for the environment are transparent. They are generally performed 8am-Noon on Saturdays to minimize impacts if issues arise from patching.
Hours Of Operation
storage.unc.edu is a 24/7 service. ITS Systems has a standby rotation to deal with critical issues after normal business hours. The ITS Service Desk business hours are 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 am, Monday through Friday, with limited after hours support during off hours. The ITS Service Desk services are not offered during official university closings but customers can still submit their requests via the web at help.unc.edu. (Adverse Weather Policy: http://hr.unc.edu/policies-procedures-systems/spa-employee-policies/leave-and-holidays/adverse-weather-spa/)
- Departments must identify a primary storage administrator to manage their storage allocation
- Departments manage file permissions and associated security groups
- Adhere to applicable University IT Policies, Procedures and Guidelines
OtherDeprovisioning of service is the responsibility of the primary storage administrator for the department via remedy request to ITS-Systems.
Out of Scope