Managed IT and Desktop Support Services
Managed Desktop Services (MDS) provides professional, efficient, customer-centered onsite, and remote IT support with an emphasis on security and reliability.
MDS provides all aspects of desktop and user-centered computing support for faculty, staff, and administrators. Within this scope, MDS not only provides 'fixers' for technical support needs; we provide consultative services to aid in customers' use or adoption of existing and new technologies to best suit their needs to advance UNC-Chapel Hill and department goals.
For needs beyond the scope of MDS services, MDS serves as your customer liaison for ITS and other services.
Out-of-scope services may relate to infrastructure, networking (behind the wall), Campus Managed Print Services, personally-owned devices, and telephony.
For more information about the service owner, please visit Managed Desktop Services (MDS) profile.
UNC-Chapel Hill faculty and staff
Departments wishing to receive IT support services from Managed Desktop Services should send an email inquiry to email@example.com to discuss service needs, arrangements and payment for services provided. Once MDS and the departmental representative have finalized a service agreement, any faculty or staff member in the department may request IT support services by submitting a request for service to MDS through established channels.
MDS supports UNC-owned personal computing equipment utilized for the advancement of UNC and department goals.
For services or devices outside the scope of the Support Agreement, service is billed in half hour increments at the current and approved Interdepartmental Fee of $48 per hour.
For more information around the costs of service and services provided, please visit Managed Desktop Services (MDS) profile.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
Technical support requests from MDS customers not addressed by ITS Service Desk personnel are escalated to the MDS team.
- Requests for support will be addressed in the order in which they are received and based on priority, determined by issue urgency and level of impact.
- MDS will respond to requests for service via phone or voice mail, e-mail, or personal visit. If we are unable to reach the customer after three attempts, the service request will be closed.
- Response times to service requests are recorded in the ITS service request tracking system, starting from the date/time a request is assigned to MDS.
- Direct emails to individual support personnel
- Direct phone calls to individual support personnel
- Verbal requests made in person to individual support personnel
- Customer Satisfaction Index
- Respond to Service Requests within 4 business hours
- Resolve Tier 2 Service Requests remotely or during first customer site visit
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- Customer Satisfaction average score > 4.5/5.0
- Respond to Tier 2 Service Requests within 4 business hours: 80%
Managed Desktop Services are subject to established ITS maintenance windows and unplanned outages impacting our ability to deliver support services. System status information can be found at status.its.unc.edu/.
Hours Of Operation
Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm, excluding University holidays and closures. Support needs outside of business hours may be arranged as needed. Submit requests for additional service hours/availability by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Customer responsibilities in support of this agreement include:
- Request support using one of the options defined in the Technical Support section of this SLA.
- Respond to MDS staff inquiries in a professional and timely manner.
- Comply with all software licensing requirements.
- Adhere to applicable University IT Policies, Procedures and Guidelines https://its.unc.edu/about-us/how-we-operate/.
- The customer is the owner of their data, and must categorize that data according to the Institutional Data Governance Policy https://its.unc.edu/about-us/how-we-operate/ and any other applicable, published policies https://its.unc.edu/about-us/how-we-operate/.
- Department contacts will review and approve departmental personnel administrative access to supported systems, based on business requirements.
- Provide MDS staff with physical access to the supported equipment.
- Service level reporting is available to MDS customers as part of our ongoing service performance reviews (timeframe to be determined/defined in MDS/customer agreement).
- Service escalation processes are defined in the MDS/customer agreement.
- Service Level Agreement change process is defined in the MDS/customer agreement.
Out of Scope
- Out of scope services could be related to infrastructure, networking (behind the wall), Campus Managed Print Services, personally-owned devices and telephony;
- Equipment not purchased or provisioned by UNC;
- Devices not under management by Managed Desktop Services;
- Negotiating or servicing third-party or vendor contracts for services.