Heelmail – Office365 Email and Calendaring
The UNC-Chapel Hill Office365 Email and Calendaring Service provides a cloud-based, feature-rich email and calendar service with support for fully featured Outlook clients on MAC and Windows along with support for older IMAP-based email clients, such as Thunderbird. A web client is also provided at https://heelmail.unc.edu. In addition to email and calendaring, Exchange also provides a campus address book, a system for managing tasks and many other features.
Heelmail is managed by Microsoft in the cloud. It offers a 50 GB mailbox compared to the 2GB mailbox in the on-campus Exchange Service, which the University manages and funds. It also offers a much richer security tool set and rich integration with the all the other Office 365 tools.
Any person with an active affiliated ONYEN (Faculty, Staff, Students who are not provisioned in Exchange Service).
Users possessing active, affiliated ONYEN may request service through selfservice.unc.edu. Shared Mailboxes may be requested via ITS Service Desk (see technical support contact info).
Browser that supports Outlook Web App.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
- Critical = 15 minutes, 24x7
- Important = 4 hours, 8-5 M-F
- General = 24 hours, 8-5 M-F
Request For Service:
- Critical = 8 hours, 8-5 M-F
- Important/General = 3 business days, 8-5 M-F
See Office 365 SLA
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
See Office 365 SLA
TBA by Microsoft
Hours Of Operation
- Service runs and is monitored 24/7.
- Normal support hours are 8-5 M-F.
- Critical interruptions of service will be responded to 24/7.
- Users will adhere to all policies and procedures located at policies.unc.edu that pertain to email, sensitive data and the use of UNC-provided software licenses.
- Users will contact the ITS Service Desk to report incidents and problems within the supported environment.
OtherActive Directory accounts will be de-provisioned on the same schedule as ONYEN.
Out of Scope
Office 365 applications not provided by the University license.
Client issues are to be handled by departmental support staff and/or Service Desk until systemic issues are found.