The ITS Operations Center (OPS Center) is responsible for minimizing downtime for the University's communications networks and the services supported by them. This technological backbone is increasingly critical to UNC-Chapel Hill’s educational and research initiatives. The OPS Center, which also is known as the Operations, Network and Security Operations Center, is staffed by technical professionals 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, regardless of any University closure.
- Monitors and ensures the reliability and security of campus data communications and services at all times
- Assists the campus community in receiving emergency alert communications
- Monitors all network components to detect failures and degraded performance
- Monitors network traffic for security events and malicious traffic
- Assists in coordinating professional and timely resolution of network and security problems
All of UNC, such as Pharmacy, Med-School, Dentistry, School of Education, Athletics, Law School, and such affiliates as GA, MCNC, Alumni, Development Office and UNC-TV.
ITS Enterprise monitoring group email: ITS Enterprise Monitoring .
Environments and services such as but not limited to, data centers, servers,building hardware,campus departments who request our service.
- Open platforms, supporting AIX, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris and Windows servers, Citrix XenServer, Cisco UCS, and VMware hypervisors.
- Extensive scripting and mathematical algorithms.
- Interfaces with multiple notification systems, including e-mail, text messages and Remedy tickets.
- Extensive use in Cujo, Spectrum, Zabbix , Console, Netsite, Alert Carolina, UNC Cable TV, Police Scanner, National Weather Service, Cybermation, Security logs, Splunk, and Zenoss.
- Monitor all network components to detect failures and degraded performance.
- Monitor network traffic for security events and malicious traffic.
- Monitor service disk and CPU utilization, load, number of jobs, and other parameters that indicate system performance.
- Assist in coordinating professional and timely resolution of network and security problems.
Technical Support Contact Information
- Remedy ticket to ITS EO or ITS Operations Center (http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/)
- listserv firstname.lastname@example.org
SLA Response Times
24/7 for Critical Request.
Monitoring reports such as up time on a server, Dashboads, and ITS Status, trending on a server, Remedy Tickets, number of Alert Carolina postings, Number of Phish and Microsoft Compromised Onynes handled.
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- Standard Request – within four hours during business days.
- Critical Request – within 15 minutes 24/7/365.
- Provide the campus community with emergency alert information through the Alert Carolina Emergency Notification System via SMS, email, social media, Alert Carolina web site updates and RSS.
- Support and serve as backup for UNC Public Safety siren activations.
- Publish change management information and status updates to status.its.unc.edu
- Provide customers with timely updates on service requests.
- Provide timely, consistent and meaningful communications regarding the availability of campus network and system services.
Hours Of Operation
Customers agree to be familiar with and adhere to the ITS-EO requirements for IT work. They are also expected to provide any requested information relevant to their issue. There are expected to have escalation and after hours escalation procedures.
Out of Scope