DNS (Domain Name System)
DNS enables users to resolve www.unc.edu to 220.127.116.11 and 2610:28:3090:3010::13, the actual numbers that computers and network equipment use to direct network traffic to the correct destination.
hope@sprocket:~$ host www.unc.edu
www.unc.edu has address 18.104.22.168
www.unc.edu has IPv6 address 2610:28:3090:3010::13
Everyone on campus as well as campus affiliates connected to the VPN.
If you use campus DHCP, you are automatically configured for campus DNS. If you use static addressing, please reference:
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
For client submitted issues:
- Critical = 15 minutes, 24x7 *
- Important = 3 hour, 8-5 M-F (excluding holidays)
- General = 24 business hours, 8-5 M-F (excluding holidays)
* Critical tickets require that the client be reachable via phone and that the phone number is documented in the ticket. Any client that does not respond to phone queries will have their ticket downgraded to important. If the issue requires networking to rely on an outside vendor for assistance, we may be unable to meet the posted response times.
For service related issues:
Our services are monitored 24x7x365. We are notified upon most service failures, and treat service outages as critical events require the service managers / process owners to begin working on the problem within 15 minutes of notification unless we deem the problem to be low impact (little to no client impact).
DNS Response Time
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
DNS Availability > 99%
DNS response time < 5 seconds
This service is governed under the ITS Change Plan process. Please see this site for details:
Hours Of Operation
Proper use of DNS failover (configure two or three name servers, so that any one server can be busy or otherwise unavailable).
This service is governed under the applicable Acceptable Use Policy, which can be found on the following site:
If users submit a critical ticket, they must include a telephone number for call back and must answer when someone from networking calls, or that ticket will be downgraded to important.
Out of Scope
We do not support external DNS. We do not patch operating systems that do not implement DNS failover properly.