DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)
DHCP enables users to receive an IP address appropriate to their connection and location.
Most computers are configured for DHCP by default.
An active (not expired) Onyen is required. For most DHCP connectivity (eduroam excluded), your machine must be registered. Please visit https://onyen.unc.edu to register your device for the network.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
For client submitted issues:
- Critical = 15 minutes, 24x7 *
- Important = 3 hours, 8-5 M-F (excluding holidays)
- General = 24 business hours, 8-5 M-F(excluding holidays)
* Critical tickets require that the client be reachable via phone and that the phone number is documented in the ticket. Any client that does not respond to phone queries will have their ticket downgraded to important. If the issue requires networking to rely on an outside vendor for assistance, we may be unable to meet the posted response times.
For service related issues:
Our services are monitored 24/7/365. We are notified upon most service failures, and treat service outages as critical events require the service managers / process owners to begin working on the problem within 15 minutes of notification unless we deem the problem to be low impact (little to no client impact)
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
DHCP is available > 99% of the time.
This service is governed under the ITS Change Plan process. Please see this site for details:
Hours Of Operation
- 24/7/365 hours of operation.
Configure computer for DHCP (which usually means leaving it at defaults).
This service is governed under the applicable Acceptable Use Policy, which can be found on the following site:
If users submit a critical ticket, they must include a telephone number for call back and must answer when someone from networking calls, or that ticket will be downgraded to important.
Out of Scope
We do not support off-campus DHCP.