ResNET provides on-site IT support, education and the technology infrastructure for the UNC-Chapel Hill residential communities. The ResNET staff is committed to enhancing the intellectual environment to support the University’s vision.
- Residential technology programs
- Information technology support
- Residence hall high-speed wired and Wi-Fi network access
- HDTVs, gaming and multimedia equipment for group work, presentations and entertainment
- CCI print station support
- IT career opportunities
- Housing Staff and RHA Resources
- To achieve 90 percent or higher customer satisfaction.
- To contact all customers within 24 hours of a Request for Help Ticket being created.
- To solve all assigned tickets on the first visit.
ResNET works closely with Housing, the Residence Hall Association and ITS, to ensure that the needs of all on-campus residents are met. ResNET is a service of ITS User Support & Engagement.
Please submit any event technology questions and booking requests via an IT support ticket. This includes requests for the Carolina Gaming Arena. If you are an RA or student representative of RHA, please keep in mind that we will loop in your community’s CD about planning.
- Requests must be made at least 2 weeks in advance of the event
- A full-time Housing staff member must give approval during the planning process.
Locations: Visit our Digital Publicity Page to view current content on any of the digital signs throughout campus.
- Make sure that the content complies with the Department of Housing and Residential Education Guidelines for appropriate use (Coming Soon).
- Create a slide that is 1920 x 1080 (sample templates: Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop).
- Save your design as either a JPG or PNG file.
- Log in to the Digital Signage Content Management System to upload your slide.
This is used by Full-Time Housing Staff and the Community Manager only to grant access to new employees and off-board former employees. Please follow these steps once logged in:
- Type ‘Housing’ or ‘ResNET’ in search
- Choose ‘ResNET Housing Support’
- Choose the appropriate selection.
Once the service request has been submitted, ResNET staff will work to add them to the appropriate access groups.
Find ResNET Staff
Senior RCC – Rachel Starr – 5513 Ram Village 5
- Jeffrey Stocker – 2000-215 Baity Hill
- Ethan Wu – 414 Ehringhaus
- Emma Zhang – 222 Ehringhaus
- Joshua Cogdell – 201 Hinton James
- Komal Essarani – 309 Hinton James
- Cameron Milne – 412 Hinton James
- Jiayi Xu – 604 Hinton James
- William Holland – 321 Horton
- Barry Squires – 246 Koury
- Ashley Dos Santos – 4102 Taylor
ResNET Employment Opportunities
ResNET employs 50 students across campus dedicated to providing reliable on-site IT support, education and delivering new technologies, to the UNC-Chapel Hill residential community. The ResNET staff is committed to enhancing the intellectual environment to support the University’s vision.
Discover what ResNET has to offer – a breadth of leadership and technical opportunities, and a great compensation package. We’ve created a work environment designed to provide our employees the freedom and support they need to achieve great things for their future.
The ResNET 2020-2021 application is now closed. Please check back October 2020 for the 21-22 academic year.
We believe that working for ResNET offers many benefits to its student employees. These days, Information Technology is integrated with most households and all successful businesses. ResNET offers student staff the ability to leave the program with a strong knowledge of computing technologies and their uses. In addition to technical support and troubleshooting skills, employees learn many additional skills that translate into any field of work:
- Customer service
- Project management
- Developing monthly reports
- Training peers
- Working within a defined workflow
We are committed to rewarding, developing and retaining talent and we’ll share the responsibility for your career development with you. There will always be a range of resources available to you and the ResNET Management Team to help you determine and meet your development needs.
As an RCC, you will be given opportunities to develop your technical skills. These technical skills are essential to any career after college. Here’s a list of just some of the areas of technology that you will be exposed to:
- Computer operating systems (Windows, Mac)
- Educational software application
- Malware removal
- Printer functionality
- Digital marketing
- Technical writing
- Gaming technology
We promote and encourage the development of leadership skills through the ResNET job experience. As an RCC, you will be given opportunities in many areas to collaborate, research, and learn with staff from ITS, Department of Housing, and various student organizations on campus.
Residential Computing Consultants (RCCs) are required to live in specific on-campus ResNET reserved rooms during their tenure. All reserved rooms are air-conditioned.
Based on population and support needs, RCCs are strategically placed throughout campus so that the highest level of customer service is provided to the residents. We may have less flexibility regarding hiring students who are unwilling to move. Candidates will be given an opportunity to submit preferences, but they are not guaranteed their top choices.
This process of housing placement is a complicated one that takes many factors into consideration. Current RCCs get first pick with Housing assignments. As a result, high-demand buildings are usually filled by returning staff as opposed to new hires.
For compensation, RCCs’ housing fees are waived at the regular undergraduate hall rate.
We only hire new staff to begin in fall semester, with the expectation that most will continue into spring. The limited positions for the summer sessions are filled by returning RCCs only.
Applications are now closed. Please check back in October 2020 for the ’21-’22 academic year.
Please note the following:
- The application deadline is December 1, 2019. No applications will be accepted after this date.
- You can complete the ResNET application without completing a Carolina Housing application.
- Only fill out the Housing application if you are sure you will live on campus next year, even if you are not hired to the ResNET team.
- If hired for ResNET, you can always fill out the application later.
- If you have filled out the housing application, are not hired, ResNET is not responsible for cancellation fees should you decide to live off-campus.
- You can view and edit your application up to the deadline (December 1, 2019).
- After submitting your application, we will let you know by an on-screen message that it has safely been submitted.
- The hiring team reviews applications from all of the suitable candidates, and selects whom to invite for an interview.
- Interviews will occur towards the beginning of Spring semester. If chosen for an interview, you will be given a list of times to choose from.
- Following the interviews, the ResNET hiring team meets to evaluate all candidates against the job requirements. The hiring team selects the most suitable candidates for the vacant positions.
- If you are selected, the hiring team will offer you a position and assign you to a residence hall. The housing assignment is non-negotiable.
- If you accept, you will be sent a follow-up confirmation, in which we’ll explain next steps.