Getting Started with Globus Connect
Below are the individual steps with example screenshots regarding the setup of your Globus login account, accessing our UNC Globus Collection named “UNC, Research Computing, Datamover” (or uncch#unc-rc-dm). There is an optional installation and configuration of your personal Globus Connect client.
Globus addresses deficiencies in secure copy requests by automating large data transfers, by resuming failed transfers, file transfers are encrypted over the wire by default and by simplifying the implementation of high-performance transfers between computing centers. Once you have finished the setup steps below you can use the Globus Connect file transfer utility.
Table of Contents
All of the following steps are using the web page you just clicked on.
We are going to setup your UNC login access method using your UNC Onyen userid and Onyen password.
- Enter “chapel hill” and click on “University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill”
- Click on “Continue” button
- On the CILogon web page, verify “UNC at Chapel Hill” is the Identify Provider.
- Check the box “Remember this selection”
- Click on “Log On”
- Enter your UNC Onyen user-id and Onyen password
- Select “File Manager” to transfer files
- To access the UNC Collection. Enter “UNC, Research Computing, Datamover” in the ‘Collection’ field.
- Next, you can either access your personal Collection to transfer between your personal workstation/laptop and Research Computing storage. To setup your personal endpoint Collection, see steps further below in Globus Connect Personal.
- Access the “UNC, Research Computing, Datamover” Collection a 2nd time to transfer data internally between various Research Computing storage such as Scratch Space and Mass Storage (~/ms/).
Setting up a personal endpoint by downloading and configuring the Globus Connect Personal software
It is only necessary to set up your workstation/laptop to be a personal endpoint if you will be transferring data between it and other Globus collections (such as ‘UNC, Research Computing, DataMover‘ or collections of other institutions).
If you need to set up your PC as a personal endpoint, that is done by installing and configuring the Globus Connect Personal software on it.
Downloads for Windows, Mac, Linux: