Skip to main content

Research Computing Help & Contact Information

By Email (Preferred and best way to contact Research Computing)

  • Send email to
  • In the body of your message, Please include:
    • which Research Computing resource you are using (for example, Longleaf or Dogwood),
    • a description the problem (screenshots are helpful),
    • If it is about a job, then job id, job submission command or script, module list, software name and version and, for finished jobs, SLURM’s job output file,
    • If it is about a connection issue: your operating system (Linux, Macintosh, Windows, etc.) and the name of the software you are using to connect to Research Computing.
  • Attach relevant information such as the program, log, SLURM and program output, etc. Please include only text files or screen shots.

On the Web

  • Sign in with your onyen to
  • To request a Longleaf or Dogwood account choose Service Request and complete our new account form. See Requesting a Cluster Account for how to find that form.
  • Choose Something is broken for anything else. Start your description with: This is for research computing so that it makes it to us directly. Specify the Research Computing resource this is about (e.g.: Longleaf, Dogwood, VCL), your operating system (Linux, Macintosh, Windows, etc.), the name/version of the software and describe the problem. Exact error messages and screen shots are very helpful. The ITS Service Desk will then forward the request to Research Computing.

By Telephone

  • Call the Information Technology Services (ITS) Service Desk at 919-962-HELP. The phone is staffed 24 hours a day. Indicate that this is about a Research Computing resource. Please be prepared to provide the staff with a description of your problem, including your software version, operating system, machine and information on how best to reach you.
  • Your phone call and/or a description of your problem will be transcribed into a ticket that is forwarded to us. While research computing support is available during normal business hours, Research Computing cannot guarantee that someone will be available to help you immediately.

We answer questions related to Research Computing resources only. For other Information Technology questions or issues, please contact the ITS Service Desk ( ) via one of the options at the bottom of this page. The service desk does not accept questions sent via email; Submit your question via: a ticket using its web form, chat, phone, or walk-in.