- SPONSOR(S): John Mack
- DEPT OR DIVISION: ITS Infrastructure & Operations
- TECHNICAL LEAD: Danny Nguyen
- STATUS: Complete - Ongoing Maintenance
- Project Theme: Serving Our Communities
This project aims to provide a digital platform that handles the end-to-end fiber management at UNC-Chapel Hill. The project will modernize Transport Operations fiber management and develop a continuous process for reconciling Campus ArcGIS Fiber maps. The main drivers are:
- Replace Transport Operations spreadsheet management system with an industry-standard software solution for operationalizing map data. This new system will eliminate bottlenecks, documentation debts and communications silos.
- Reconcile ArcGIS fiber information with information stored in Excel spreadsheets. Facilities Planning and Network Engineering needs this information to plan and budget capital projects.
- Create an automated process that makes it easy for continuous updates from the field as Transport Operations makes updates to campus fiber, including establishing an internal owner or point-of-contact of the GIS database for ITS fiber. That person has the authority to request updates and “as-built” documentation from field crew technicians in a timely manner.