- SPONSOR(S): Jackie Copeland, Beverly Wyrick (Executive Sponsor: Rachelle Feldman)
- DEPT OR DIVISION: ITS Enterprise Applications
- PROJECT MANAGER: Gina Fogelsonger
- CHANGE MANAGER: Anita Collins
- STATUS: On Track
- Project Theme:
To ensure UNC-Chapel Hill is compliant with federal and state regulations, the University took a comprehensive look at payments to students and recommended some changes. These changes ensure compliance with regulations, provide timely disbursement of awards and reduce instances of students being asked to return funds to the University.
One key change is to use GradStar to process some student payments (such as training grants) instead of ConnectCarolina vouchers. Payments processed through GradStar are included in the student’s financial aid package and paid to the student’s account instead as a check directly to the student.
The project team is a cross-functional team made up of staff from ITS, The Graduate School, Office of Scholarships and Student Aid, University Finance (Accounts Payable, Cashier, Payroll), Office of Sponsored Research and campus departments.
GradStar Student Payments – Phase 1 (COMPLETE – August 2, 2021)
- Move all student payments from other methods including AP to using GradStar.
- All student award payments automatically captured as part of Financial Aid package processing and student financials distribution.
GradStar Student Payments – Phase 2 (IN PROGRESS)
- Sprint 1 – GSHIP adjustments to align with new GradStar functionality (COMPLETE – August 19, 2021)
- Sprint 2 – Additional functionality (COMPLETE – December 2, 2021)
- Emergency Funds
- Non-Monetary Awards
- Request Cost of Attendance Increase (for specific award types)
- Sprint 3 – Reporting and Reconciliation functionality (IN PROGRESS)