- SPONSOR(S): Mike Barker, Ethan Kromhout
- DEPT OR DIVISION: ITS Infrastructure and Operations
- PROJECT OWNER: Matthew Conley
- STATUS: In Progress
- Project Theme: Building Capability
What is it?
This project is performing a lifecycle replacement of storage controllers and disks that are nearing the end of their useful life.
Why are we doing it?
As hardware ages, it becomes less reliable, the potential for data loss grows and maintenance costs increase. This project is focusing on replacing:
- ESMC0 – the hardware supporting Storage.unc.edu and SecNas.unc.edu.
- ESMC5 – the hardware that provides some primary storage for Splunk and serves as a backup destination for a majority of ITS data.
How does this impact our UNC community?
Customers should not notice any impact to the service.
When is this happening?
This project began in October 2021 and completed in June 2022.