ITS has made some organizational adjustments, effective July 1. These changes are oriented toward three primary aims:
- realize substantial budget/expense reductions as directed
- optimize and consolidate the management of ITS
- increase operational efficiency and effectiveness of ITS, with a particular focus on expense reductions caused by reduced budget allocations
Most significantly, the Communication Technologies division was consolidated into other operational units. The Networking, Engineering, and Transport Operations teams now report under John Mack, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Infrastructure & Operations. The Voice Services / Telephony teams now report under Kate Hash, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Customer Experience & Engagement.
J. Michael Barker, Ph.D., Vice Chancellor for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, announced the organizational changes.
Units change names
Further adjustments are:
- The group previously known as Enterprise Reporting & Departmental Systems gains a new name of Data & Reporting Environments & Application Middleware (DREAM). It was renamed to reflect a broader orientation to data and integration services.
- Middleware, Database, and PeopleSoft Application Administration teams move from Infrastructure & Operations to report to Rachel Serrano, Director of that newly named division of Data & Reporting Environments & Application Middleware.
- The division formerly known as User Support & Engagement is now called Customer Experience & Engagement.
- The IT Service Management team (including, e.g., ServiceNow platform support) moves from Customer Experience & Engagement to report under John Mack, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Infrastructure & Operations.
- Software Distribution moves from Customer Experience & Engagement to report under Steve Haring, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Finance & Administration in ITS.
Reduces budget, boosts efficiency
Still other changes are:
- Within Customer Experience & Engagement, the Business Systems Help Desk is now aligned under the aegis of the ITS Service Desk.
- Also, within Customer Experience & Engagement, ITS Digital Communications moves under the Digital Services area alongside the website and digital accessibility teams.
- Service Management Engagement, which works with customers to find solutions to their service management needs and supports the ServiceNow platform, remains within Customer Experience & Engagement but moves under the Digital Services area.
These organizational changes, Barker said, “balance between budget/cost reductions, efficient management and effective operations.”
The changes do not affect the functions nor composition of the individual subunits. Instead, he said, “they move those subunits to optimize our management structures and most effectively utilize the resources we have available to us to sustain operations.”
Other adjustments likely
ITS will likely “undertake further adjustments in the coming months,” Barker said. Those adjustments, however, “will be aimed at operational and structural improvements within subdivisions. I do not anticipate further organizational changes of the magnitude outlined above.”
ITS is in the process of updating its web presence and its help/support documentation to reflect these organizational changes.