Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) service provides user mobility within an office building to UNC-Chapel Hill students, staff, faculty and authorized visitors access to the internet. WLAN service is an extension of the Local Area Network, which includes IEEE 802.11 wireless access points (APs) and their communication with wireless Network Interface Cards (NICs) in laptops and other devices. ITS provides the design, implementation, monitoring and management of the WLAN infrastructure.
Wireless is a shared technology and offers no guarantees for consistent bandwidth or performance. During the design phase, ITS will determine access-point locations based on coverage and device counts that enable optimum speed and access.
Most windows and apple operating systems are supported. We do disable lower data rates which can adversely affect older outdated devices. We strongly suggest purchasing wireless NICs that support the 5 gigahertz spectrum.
- Report any issues related to connectivity or issues through the Service Desk (see contact information below)
- Most Windows and Apple operating systems are supported.
- We do disable lower data rates which can adversely affect older outdated devices.
- We strongly suggest purchasing wireless NICs that support the 5 gigahertz spectrum.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
For client submitted issues:
- Critical = 15 minutes, 24x7 *
- Important = 3 hour, 8-5 M-F (excluding holidays)
- General = 24 hours business hours, 8-5 M-F (excluding holidays)
* Critical tickets require that the client be reachable via phone and that the phone number is documented in the ticket. Any client that does not respond to phone queries will have their ticket downgraded to important. If the issue requires networking to rely on an outside vendor for assistance, we may be unable to meet the posted response times.
For service related issues:
- Our services are monitored 24/7/365.
- We are notified upon most service failures, and treat service outages as critical events require the service managers / process owners to begin working on the problem within 15 minutes of notification unless we deem the problem to be low impact (little to no client impact).
- Availability for wireless controllers
- Availability for wireless access points
- Access point and controller user count
- Access point and controller aggregate bandwidth utilization
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- Availability for wireless controllers > 99%
- Availability for wireless access points > 99%
- Access point and controller user count < 100%
- Access point and controller aggregate bandwidth utilization < 80% utilization of uplink
This service is governed under the ITS Change Plan process. Please see this site for details:
Hours Of Operation
This service is governed under the applicable Acceptable Use Policy, which can be found on the following site:
If users submit a critical ticket, they must include a telephone number for call back and must answer when someone from networking calls, or that ticket will be downgraded to important.
- Departments must agree to actively support their users, reducing the number of client device trouble tickets that are escalated to networking.
- Keep wireless devices up to date for patches and driver updates.
- For guest access, follow http://help.unc.edu/help/what-is-the-guest-access-vlan
- Adherence to policies: http://help.unc.edu/help/its-wireless-networking-policy-statement/ and http://help.unc.edu/help/unc-chapel-hill-wireless-spectrum-management-policy/
OtherRequests for the removal of the service must be made through the help desk.
Out of Scope
We do not support customer owned wireless access points, and those devices are forbidden to connect to the campus network. We do not troubleshoot unsupported devices or operating systems