The UNC-Chapel Hill wired network is provided pervasively across the campus and includes such major areas as main campus, the School of Medicine and the residence halls. As the University has grown, the wired network has extended to off-campus locations, either through dark fiber leases, University-owned fiber, microwave connections and metro ethernet (or any other transport service that may be available to connect remote operations to the University). UNC-Chapel Hill provides support from the wall plate to the internet. The internet connection is provided through dual connections to the regional educational research network (NCREN) and provides commodity and Internet2 connectivity.
- Submit requests for port activations and any issues related to connectivity needs or issues through the ITS Service Desk (contact information below).
- Any device that can connect to an Ethernet IP based network and adhere to the established standards.
- We use Cisco, Extreme, Enterasys, and Arista as our hardware providers for the campus wired network.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
For client submitted issues:
- Critical = 15 minutes, 24x7 *
- Important = 3 hour, 8-5 M-F (excluding holidays)
- General = 24 business hours, 8-5 M-F (excluding holidays)
* Critical tickets require that the client be reachable via phone and that the phone number is documented in the ticket. Any client that does not respond to phone queries will have their ticket downgraded to important. If the issue requires networking to rely on an outside vendor for assistance, we may be unable to meet the posted response times.
For service related issues:
- Our services are monitored 24/7/365.
- We are notified upon most service failures, and treat service outages as critical events require the service managers / process owners to begin working on the problem within 15 minutes of notification unless we deem the problem to be low impact (little to no client impact).
- Availability for Core and Border Routers
- Core and Border Router CPU
- Availability for Tier I switches
- Bandwidth utilization on border links (Internet)
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- Availability for Core and Border Routers > 99%
- Core and Border Router CPU 99%
- Bandwidth utilization on border links (Internet) < 60% aggregate bandwidth utilization against overall bandwidth for switches/routers.
- All maintenance impacting the campus core routing service will be announced a minimum of 14 days in advance, according to established change management procedures.
- In addition, this service is governed under the ITS Change Plan process. Please see this site for details:
Hours Of Operation
- This service is governed under the applicable Acceptable Use Policy, which can be found on the following site:
- If users submit a critical ticket, they must include a telephone number for call back and must answer when someone from networking calls, or that ticket will be downgraded to important.
Out of Scope
Locations that are not connected directly or virtually to the UNC Network, and equipment that is not owned or managed by the UNC Networking team is not covered for support.