VPN Services (Off-Campus Access and Dedicated Site-to-Site Tunnels)
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides an encrypted connection (secure tunnel) from off campus to the UNC-Chapel Hill internal network. VPN enables the UNC-Chapel Hill community to access campus applications and work securely, just as if users were physically on campus.
-Access to some campus applications from off campus require the use of VPN (i.e. Remote Desktop, Shared Drives, Virtual Computing Lab, Virtual Lab and ConnectCarolina, etc.).
-Dedicated site-to-site VPN is an always-on VPN solution between campus and a remote location. It's suitable for department-connecting users at off-campus locations back to campus securely.
- VPN clients can be downloaded from UNC website (http://help.unc.edu/vpn).
- For dedicated site to site VPN request, please submit a ticket to ITS-NETWAN.
Cisco ASA AnyConnect and Cisco ASA hardware VPN are supported.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
For client submitted issues:
- Critical = 15 minutes, 24x7 *
- Important = 3 hour, 8-5 M-F (excluding holidays)
- General = 24 hours business hours, 8-5 M-F (excluding holidays)
* Critical tickets require that the client be reachable via phone and that the phone number is documented in the ticket. Any client that does not respond to phone queries will have their ticket downgraded to important. If the issue requires networking to rely on an outside vendor for assistance, we may be unable to meet the posted response times.
For service related issues:
- Our services are monitored 24x7x365.
- We are notified upon most service failures, and treat service outages as critical events require the service managers / process owners to begin working on the problem within 15 minutes of notification unless we deem the problem to be low impact (little to no client impact)
- Campus VPN headend availability metric
- Campus VPN headend active user count metric
- Campus VPN headend aggregate bandwidth utilization metric
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- 99% VPN headend uptime
- Less than 90% active user count against available VPN license
- Less than 15% aggregate bandwidth utilization against overall available bandwidth
- VPN ASA firmware upgrades will be performed when they are critically required, either by bug or as necessitated by security exploits. All maintenance impacting the VPN will be announced a minimum of 14 days in advance, according to established change management procedures.
- VPN AnyConnect software (VPN client) has rapid release schedule.
- AnyConnect software update will be announced a minimum of 2 days in advance.
In addition, This service is governed under the ITS Change Plan process. Please see this site for details:
Hours Of Operation
This service is governed under the applicable Acceptable Use Policy, which can be found on the following site:
If users submit a critical ticket, they must include a telephone number for call back and must answer when someone from networking calls, or that ticket will be downgraded to important.
Out of Scope
Cisco ASA AnyConnect Client is the only certified VPN client that is supported. OpenConnect may be a viable alternative for customers who are unable to use AnyConnect, but it is unsupported by ITS.