Virtual Server Infrastructure (Hosting)
ITS offers virtual server hosting. The ITS virtual hosting environment is built on the UCS appliance architecture running Vmware for the virtual server service in conjunction with Veeam for the server backup service. This stable, secure and highly available environment eliminates the need for guest server lifecycle. This service is rated for sensitive data.
The virtual servers from this service are available in two configurations:
Managed - Configuration in which the ITS Systems Support team manages the server OS and its maintenance and provides systems administration support for the departmental service administrators.
Unmanaged - Configuration enables departmental service administrators to handle all system administration for the virtual server.
ITS Hosting service is available to UNC-Chapel Hill faculty, staff, students, retirees, contractors, distance learners, visiting scholars and others who require UNC-Chapel Hill resources to work in conjunction with UNC-Chapel Hill as provisioned by departmental service administrators.
- Managed Host Configuration: Windows enterprise operating systems only.
- Unmanaged Host Configuration: Windows and Select Non-Windows enterprise operating systems.
- $50.00 annually per 1GB Ram. This includes initial 50GB of Storage and Onsite Veeam backup.
- Additional storage is available at an annual cost of $1 per GB.
- $500.00 Annually for OS Management
- Offsite Backup Available via TSM service (Please refer to TSM SLA)
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
• Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
• Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
• Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
• Twitter: @unchelpdesk
• Facebook: unchelpdesk
• YouTube: unchelpdesk
• Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
Service Level response times to service requests are measured by when a request is submitted to the ITS-Systems remedy group. Other forms of contact may affect the ability to address the request in a timely fashion.
- Critical = 1 hour, 24/7
- Important = 1 Business day, 8-5 M-F
- General = 3 Business days, 8-5 M-F
ITS-Systems collects data on:
- Hosting Service Availability
- Virtual Server Availability
- Customer Satisfaction
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- Hosting Service Availability: 99.9%
- Virtual Server Availability: 99.9%
- Customer Satisfaction: 4.8/5.0
- Maintenance for managed "guests" occur either "routinely" as per customer agreed upon automated maintenance windows or "as needed" as per customer agreed upon manual updates.
- All maintenance impacting the hosting service environment as per the OLA will be announced a minimum of 14 days in advance, according to established change management procedures.
- Hosting is a 24/7 service.
- ITS Systems has a standby rotation to deal with critical issues after normal business hours.
- The ITS Service Desk business hours are 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 am, Monday through Friday, with limited after hours support during off hours. The ITS Service Desk services are not offered during official university closings but customers can still submit their requests via the web at http://its.unc.edu/about-us/how-we-operate/. (Adverse Weather Policy: http://hr.unc.edu/policies-procedures-systems/spa-employee-policies/leave-and-holidays/adverse-weather-spa/)
Hours Of Operation
- Customer will designate a primary service administrator and provide appropriate contact information for that individual. Remedy ticket exchange is the preferred method of communication if utilized within the department. An additional contact from the departmental business office is advised to manage business transactions and to act as a secondary communications mechanism if ITS is unable to reach the primary administrator.
- Customer will provide the license for all installed applications.
- Customer will Select, install, test and support all applications and will follow best practices to ensure compliance with UNC-CH IT security standards.
- Customer will provide end user support for guest server environment.
- Customer will create and manage user accounts
- Customer is responsible for performing application updates and patches in a timely fashion and in accordance with risk.
- Customer is responsible for application life-cycle in order to retain ITS and vendor support.
- Customer will submit any requests for service via the Remedy support tracking system. The designated service administrator is responsible for submitting the request, either by creating the Remedy ticket himself or by contacting the ITS Response Center.
- Customer will subscribe to email@example.com or the ITS Change Notices syndication feed at http://its.unc.edu/ in order to be aware of any notifications
- Adhere to applicable University IT Policies, Procedures and Guidelines
OtherDeprovisioning of service is the responsibility of the primary service administrator for the department via remedy request to ITS-Systems.
Out of Scope