Telephony (Verizon VoIP)
The University's Voice Services is a Voice-over-Internet Protocol (commonly known as VoIP) phone system. Phone lines are provided over the data network, which is the same network that provides your connection to your computer.
-Campus members requesting a new University phone line receive a VoIP phone number, a VoIP phone, a personal voicemail box and free domestic long distance.
-New VoIP phone requests are assigned the Mitel 6867i model.
-VoIP phone models in use include Mitel 6731i, 6755i, 6757i and 6867i.
-Some departments may need a voicemail service that provides a phone tree, or menu, to redirect calls, also known as a voicemail auto attendant. Voicemail auto attendant is an optional voice service. Monthly subscription charges apply.
Faculty and staff
VoIP phone lines must be connected to a data port that is configured to support a VoIP phone (the data port must be assigned a VoIP VLAN). A ticket to ITS Networking at http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/ is required to ensure that a data port is configured in the correct VLAN for VoIP phone needs.
Also, in some instances where data ports are sparse, computers and VoIP phones may need to share the same data port. This will require the computer to be connected to the VoIP phone, which is in turn connected to the data port. This is often referred to as "daisy-chaining" the phone and the computer. Daisy-chaining requires the PC port on the back of the phone to be enabled by ITS Comm Tech Voice Services staff.
- $140.00 one-time installation fee per phone. This is standard for routine VoIP phone requests.
- For VoIP phone needs that require additional cabling or infrastructure, an estimate will be required from an ITS Engineer. Voicemail Auto Attendant is $5.00/month/menu (it is recommended to consult with a Network Analyst for a cost estimate).
- Requests to add additional phone line appearances to an existing phone is $45.00 per phone.
- For voice services needed that vary from the examples here, additional costs may apply.
- Please consult with a Network Analyst by submitting an online request at https://itsapps.unc.edu/telreq/ for additional customized support and information.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
- New Requests: 1-10 VoIP phone lines 3-5 business days
- 10+ VoIP phone lines consult wth a Network Analyst
- Voicemail Auto Attendant consult with a Network Analyst (these requests are often service-impacting and require coordination for design, recording, and implementation).
- VoIP phone disconnects, requests for programming changes or VoIP phone moves: 1-10 phone lines 3-5 buiness days; 10+ VoIP phone lines consult with a Network Analyst.
- VoIP phones can be moved by the customer to and from any UNC Campus location, however, the data port must be configured to support VoIP phones.
- It is recommended to submit a request to ITS Networking at http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/ to ensure that a data port is configured in the correct VLAN for VoIP phone moves.
- Customers that elect to have a VoIP phone moved by an ITS Comm Tech technician will incur lLabor charges at the rate of $70/hour or fraction thereof.
- VoIP phone changes such as caller ID name changes and dialing restrictions (such as access to international calls), and voicemail password resets and name changes can most often be completed same day.
- For voice services needed that vary from the examples here, please consult with a Network Analyst by submitting an online request at https://itsapps.unc.edu/telreq/ for additional customized support and information.
Voice traffic reports - percentage voice traffic (or calls) blocked - this can be broken down to both OnNet and OffNet traffic (OnNet is VoIP to VoIP traffic only.)
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- 95% percent availability
- Verizon advertises 99.99% uptime on their network and fortunately we do have a fail-over design for the two connections at UNC providing access to the public telephone network.
- We do need to keep in mind, however, that power and network outages will impact the VoIP phone system from time to time.
Unless initiated by Verizon, all maintenance impacting Voice Services Operations (including voicemail maintenance) will be announced a minimum of 14 days in advance, according to established change management processes.
Hours Of Operation
ITS Voice Services Business Hours are 7:30AM-4:30PM, Monday through Friday. Customers can continue to submit online Web Requisitions during off hours at https://itsapps.unc.edu/telreq/ and they will be acknowledged the next business day. ITS Voice Services is closed during official University closings and holidays. You can also contact the ITS Service Desk to submit a request.
ITS Service Desk:
Requests for Voice Services should be submitted to the following link to an online Web Requisition that will require a detailed description of the request, service location, and the department name, number and chartfieldstring account for billing: https://itsapps.unc.edu/telreq/. Customers are required to have either an Onyen or a PID in order to access this Requisition, and they must have authorization to charge services to billing accounts (or chartfieldstring accounts) within their department. Any issues with accessing chartfieldstring account when trying to submit an online Requisition will need to be referred to the Department Business Officer. All requests should include a detailed description of the services being requested - number of VoIP phone lines and location, names (caller ID and voicemail), data port numbers, additional line appearance with ring option (yes or no), customer contact name and number, and date services needed.
OtherVoIP phones are leased, so all phones must be returned to ITS Communication Technologies when VoIP service is disconnected. Charges could apply for lost phones.
Out of Scope
VoIP phones are leased, so all phones must be returned to ITS Communication Technologies when VoIP service is disconnected. Charges could apply for lost phones.
Customer-owned VoIP phones that are certified on Verizon’s network are supported, however, if the problem is determined to be in the customer’s hardware ITS Communication Technologies will not repair the phone and standard labor charges will apply at the rate of $70.00 per hour, or fraction thereof, for the isolation of the trouble. Customer-owned VoIP phones that are not certified on Verizon’s network are not supported.