Server Backup (TSM)
ITS hosts a Backup Service for enterprise systems. The service is built around IBM’s Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM). Tivoli Storage Manager is an enterprise-level software suite that provides data backup and restoration service for departmental servers. Data is backed up nightly to two sets of tapes. One copy is kept onsite; the second goes offsite to a secure repository. This service is rated for sensitive data.
secnas.unc.edu is available to UNC-Chapel Hill faculty, staff, students, retirees, contractors, distance learners, visiting scholars and others who require UNC-Chapel Hill resources to work in conjunction with UNC-Chapel Hill as provisioned by departmental storage administrators.
Remedy request via ITS Help (http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/).
Backup clients available for the following operating enterprise systems: Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
Service Level response times to service requests are measured by when a request is submitted to the ITS-Systems remedy group. Other forms of contact may affect the ability to address the request in a timely fashion.
- Critical = 1 hour, 24/7
- Important = 1 Business day, 8-5 M-F
- General = 3 Business days, 8-5 M-F
ITS-Systems collects data on:
- Service Availability
- Backup Failure
- Data Restore
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- Availability: 99.9%
- Backup: 100%
- Restoration: 100%
Maintenance for the TSM environment is performed as needed depending on patch releases from the vendor. All maintenance impacting TSM will be performed in published patch windows. Patches for the environment are not transparent as the restore service is unavailable during maintenance. To accommodate this, maintenance is generally performed from 2pm to 5pm during business hours to minimize impact on the backup processes themselves.
Hours Of Operation
- TSM server back up is a 24/7 service.
- ITS Systems has a standby rotation to deal with critical issues after normal business hours. The Service Desk business hours are 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 am, Monday through Friday, with limited after hours support during off hours.
- The ITS Service Desk services are not offered during official university closings but customers can still submit their requests via the web at http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/. (Adverse Weather Policy: http://hr.unc.edu/policies-procedures-systems/spa-employee-policies/leave-and-holidays/adverse-weather-spa/)
- Customers are responsible for the TSM client installation. ITS will provide documentation and assistance as needed.
- Customers are responsible for taking action to fix TSM client problems. If necessary, users will contact ITS Systems if they are unsuccessful and need assistance.
- Customer will designate a primary service administrator and provide appropriate contact information for that individual. Remedy ticket exchange is the preferred method of communication if utilized within the department. An additional contact from the departmental business office is advised to manage business transactions and to act as a secondary communications mechanism if ITS is unable to reach the primary administrator.
- Customer will submit any requests for service via the Remedy support tracking system. The designated service administrator is responsible for submitting the request, either by creating the Remedy ticket himself or by contacting the ITS Response Center.
- Customer will subscribe to firstname.lastname@example.org or the ITS Change Notices syndication feed at http://its.unc.edu/ in order to be aware of any notifications about changes to the virtual infrastructure environment and/or to their hosted guest server.
- Adhere to applicable University IT Policies, Procedures and Guidelines