The ITS Response Center is the first point of contact for IT Support at UNC-Chapel Hill. We use the Remedy Action Request System to track Help Requests and to route problems to the appropriate support group. We work very closely with the specialized Help Desks provided by different departments and schools on campus.
Frontline Support Services
The Frontline Support Services Team provides technical support to UNC students, faculty, and staff as a one single point of contact for academic computing support. We cover a variety of applications and services used across a wide range of systems and platforms. Our areas of expertise include Lenovo and Apple hardware, Microsoft Windows and Apple operating systems, the Microsoft Office Professional suite, ConnectCarolina, Sakai, web browsers, wired and wireless networking, mobile device configuration, and an array of campus IT services.
The ITS Help Desk has two offices for walk-In support. You can locate us in the basement of the R. B. House Undergraduate Library and in the Student and Academic Services Building South.
The ITRC walk-In provides software support for both CCI and non-CCI computers. We also work closely with the Computer Repair Center (CRC) to resolve hardware issues on CCI Lenovo and Apple computers. Click to learn more about our hardware and software support.
For walk-in support, you can visit us either:
In the basement level of the R.B. House Undergraduate Library
The primary location for the ITS Help Desk Walk-In Services is centrally located on Main Campus in the basement of the R. B. House Undergraduate Library. Our typical hours are Sunday 1 p.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Hours can vary depending on holidays and class schedule. You can find our current schedule at the Help Site.
On the first floor of the SASB South building
Our second Walk-In location is on South Campus in the South building of the Student and Academic Services Building. This office provides the same services as our primary office in a location convenient to the majority of on-campus residents. We are located on the first floor of the South building along Manning Drive. Normal hours during fall and spring semesters are Sunday 1 p.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Hours can vary, however, due to holidays and class schedules. The current schedule can be seen on the Help Site.
Hardware Support of Lenovo and Apple computers is offered by the Computer Repair Center (CRC) through the ITS Help Desk. This includes both warranty and non-warranty repair. For non-warranty issues on CCI computers the CRC will provide diagnostics and estimate.
Each CCI computer comes with a world-wide warranty. To check the warranty status of your computer, please visit the Lenovo or Apple website. Repairs covered under warranty will not result in a charge.
CCI computers purchased by incoming freshmen are also covered by accidental damage policies. These policies cover accidental damage to the computer. Payment of a $100 per-incident deductible must be charged to a student account or paid at the RAM Shop before an computer repaired under insurance may be picked up.
Please note: insurance coverage only extends to the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.
The walk-in provides software support for CCI and non-CCI computers. This includes issues such as:
- Windows or OS X errors
- Microsoft Office problems
Small problems can often be resolved while you wait but more difficult issues typically require leaving the computer with our drop-off consultants.
A common customer request is a computer re-image. Re-imaging a computer involves erasing the previous Windows or OS X installation and installing a secure, updated version. For CCI computers we can temporarily backup customer data while the computer is under repair.
Re-imaging has several benefits:
- Eliminates any virus or spyware issues.
- Resolves any problems from Windows or OS X degrading over time. Studies actually recommend re-installing operating systems once a year.
- Updates Windows or OS X as well as any other original software on a CCI computer.
- Applies security fixes and practices that will protect you in the future.
The option of manual troubleshooting is also available. In manual troubleshooting we will do our best to resolve your issues without erasing files however this cannot be guaranteed. We will do our best to take care of any issues but complete problem resolution may not be possible with manual troubleshooting as a computer that has been compromised by a virus or spyware cannot be fully secured without re-imaging
The ITS Help Desk has a limited number of loaner computers. These computers are only available to customers whose computers were purchased through the CCI program and are checked in for servicing. Loaners are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Unfortunately, the Help Desk cannot guarantee that a loaner will be available at all times. A waitlist will be kept when they are not readily available. Shortages most often occur during high-volume periods (such as start of school or virus outbreaks).
- Loaners are only available to customers whose computers were purchased through the CCI program and are checked in for servicing. Loaners are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Loaner equipment must be returned before the repaired equipment will be released to the customer.
- Upon notification of repair completion, all loaner equipment will be returned to the ITS Help Desk within three business days, in the same condition in which it was loaned. Loaner equipment returned damaged will result in charges for the full cost of the repair.
- Loaner computers are NOT covered by your insurance. Any repairs will be performed by the ITS Help Desk and repair charges for loaner equipment are the full responsibility of the customer. The charge for physical damage to loaner equipment is $500, and $1,000 if equipment is lost or stolen.
- If not returned within three business days of repair completion notification, the ITS Help Desk will suspend the Onyen account access for the customer until the equipment is returned.
- Customers with a history of loaner abuse or disregard for the loaner policy will lose the privilege of checking out loaner equipment.
- If not returned within 30 days of repair completion notification, the ITS Help Desk will charge a nonrefundable replacement fee of up to $1,000 for the loaner equipment. Stops will also be put on the customer’s University account until loaner equipment is returned or paid for, preventing customer from registering for classes or graduating.