Managed IT and Desktop Support Services
Managed Desktop Services (MDS) provides professional, efficient, customer-centered onsite and remote IT support with an emphasis on security and reliability. MDS provides flexible and reliable enterprise-level technology support while minimizing departmental overhead expenses.
MDS provides all aspects of desktop and user-centered computing support for faculty, staff and administrators. Within this scope, MDS not only provides ‘fixers’ for technical support needs; we provide consultative services to aid in customers' use or adoption of existing and new technologies to best suit their needs to advance UNC-Chapel Hill and department goals.
MDS also is customers' liaison for other ITS needs outside of the scope or expertise of Managed Desktop Services. Out-of-scope services may relate to infrastructure, networking (behind the wall), Campus Managed Print Services, personally-owned devices and telephony.
UNC-Chapel Hill faculty and staff
Departments wishing to receive IT support services from Managed Desktop Services should send an email inquiry to email@example.com to discuss service needs, arrangements and payment for services provided. Once MDS and the departmental representative have finalized a service agreement, any faculty or staff member in the department may request IT support services by submitting a request for service to MDS through established channels.
MDS supports UNC-owned personal computing equipment utilized for the advancement of UNC and department goals.
Technical Support Contact Information
ITS Service Desk:
- Phone (919) 962-HELP (4357)
- Chat: https://help.unc.edu/chat
- Online Help Request: http://help.unc.edu/help/olhr/
- Twitter: @unchelpdesk
- Facebook: unchelpdesk
- YouTube: unchelpdesk
- Instagram: unchelpdesk
SLA Response Times
Technical support requests from MDS customers not addressed by ITS Service Desk personnel are escalated to the MDS team.
- Requests for support will be addressed in the order in which they are received and based on priority (Critical, Important, General), determined by issue urgency and level of impact.
- MDS will respond to requests for service via phone or voice mail, e-mail, or personal visit. If we are unable to reach the customer after three attempts, the service request will be closed.
- Response times to service requests are recorded in Remedy, the ITS service request tracking system, starting from the date/time a request is assigned to MDS.
- Direct emails to individual support personnel
- Direct phone calls to individual support personnel
- Verbal requests made in person to individual support personnel
- Customer Satisfaction Index
- Respond to Tier 2 Service Requests within 4 business hours
- Resolve Tier 2 Service Requests remotely or during first customer site visit
Service Metrics / Service Goal metrics
- Customer Satisfaction average score > 4.5/5.0
- Respond to Tier 2 Service Requests within 4 business hours: 80%
- Resolve Tier 2 Service Requests remotely or during first customer site visit: 60%
Managed Desktop Services are subject to established ITS maintenance windows and unplanned outages impacting our abililty to deliver support services. System status information can be found at http://status.its.unc.edu/.
Hours Of Operation
Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm, excluding University holidays and closures. Support needs outside of business hours may be arranged as needed. Submit requests for additional service hours/availability by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Customer responsibilities in support of this agreement include:
- Request support using one of the options defined in the Technical Support section of this SLA.
- Respond to MDS staff inquiries in a professional and timely manner.
- Comply with all software licensing requirements.
- Adhere to applicable University IT Policies, Procedures and Guidelines http://its.unc.edu/about-us/how-we-operate/.
- The customer is the owner of their data, and must categorize that data according to the Institutional Data Governance Policy http://its.unc.edu/about-us/how-we-operate/ and any other applicable, published policies http://its.unc.edu/about-us/how-we-operate/.
- Department contacts will review and approve departmental personnel administrative access to supported systems, based on business requirements.
- Provide MDS staff with physical access to the supported equipment.
- Service level reporting is available to MDS customers as part of our ongoing service performance reviews (timeframe to be determined/defined in MDS/customer agreement).
- Service escalation processes are defined in the MDS/customer agreement.
- Service Level Agreement change process is defined in the MDS/customer agreement.
Out of Scope
- Out of scope services could be related to infrastructure, networking (behind the wall), Campus Managed Print Services, personally-owned devices and telephony.