Blackboard Collaborate (formerly called Elluminate Live) is a Web-conferencing system that enables groups to meet, present and collaborate.
Participants in a Blackboard Collaborate session can:
- Hold discussions using voice or text chat
- Write, draw and paste images on a shared whiteboard
- Present materials imported from PowerPoint
- Conduct polls and give quizzes
- Simultaneously view Web pages, video and other multimedia
- Use breakout rooms to work in smaller groups
- View or share documents or software running on any participant’s computer
- Record sessions for later viewing or review
Instructors can set up sessions for:
- Hosting guest speakers
- Holding virtual office hours
- Leading test review sessions
- Teaching class sessions online
Sakai sites can also set up sessions within their sites. If you don’t have a Sakai site, check this list to see if there is a BB Collaborate supervisor to create a session for you. If you do not have a supervisor, submit a help request to have a session created for you.
- The only equipment required to participate in a session is a computer with a connection to the Internet.
- For audio discussions, speakers will need a microphone, preferably a USB headset with noise cancellation.
- Adhere to related University and ITS Security policies and procedures.
- Learn to use the tool via online live.
Help and more information
If you don’t have any Sakai sites, submit an Online Help Request to create a meeting.