Recognizing the need for a centrally managed, robust platform for managing the University's Web content and documentation, ITS Web Services was charged in fall 2007 with implementing an enterprise-class content management solution. The product selected in spring 2008 to meet this need was Oracle’s Universal Content Management™. ITS Web Service' implementation of this product produced the ECM platform and program, "CarolinaContent."
In 2011, ITS Web Services partnered with the Office of Arts and Sciences Information Services, in conjunction with ITS Infrastructure and Operations, to replace CarolinaContent with a more cost-effective, flexible, and easy-to-use web publishing platform. The service, based on the WordPress platform, aims to meet a wide range of needs, including "turnkey" self-serve sites as well as enterprise-level sites and web-based functionality. This two-pronged approach is based on two multi-site WordPress installations:
- Self-serve (Web.unc.edu) - Hosts thousands of sites for students, faculty, staff, researchers, centers, campus units, etc.
- Enterprise (Sites.unc.edu) - Hosts the University's homepage and websites for schools, departments, divisions, and enterprise-level customers.
- Simple, turnkey web publishing (Web.unc.edu)
- Professional, enterprise-level infrastructure and hosting
- Secure, monitored systems and applications
- Flexible, scalable, modern, and easy-to-use
- Official, UNC-branded themes and assets
- Documentation and technical support including web-based forum
Hours of Availability
The website hosting/content management service is available to customers 24 x 7, excluding planned outages, maintenance windows and unavoidable events (more information available below).
- Consulting and project work is available Monday – Friday, 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
- Support is available for enterprise web service (sites.unc.edu customers) per the Remedy tiered schedule:
- Critical: 24x7, 15 minute response
- Important: 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M., Monday – Friday, four hour response time
- General: 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M., Monday – Friday, two day response time
CustomerFaculty, staff, students, and campus units
The website hosting/content management service is available to customers 24 x 7, excluding planned outages, maintenance windows and unavoidable events. Maintenance windows are used only when needed for planned changes that have gone through the ITS Change Management Process. In addition to the Standard ITS Maintenance Windows, site-specific and service-specific changes may be coordinated with customers at non-standard times.
Support available for web.unc.edu customers in the following ways:
How Do We Charge
- No charge for websites created and run on the web.unc.edu platform.
- Custom web design, development, and consulting services may be available at costs established by University Budget Committee.
How To Request More Information On Or Request The Service
Contact Billy Hylton at billy_hylton[at]unc.edu or webdotunc[at]groups.unc.edu. Additional information available at http://webservices.unc.edu.