Service DescriptionThis service is provided through the implementation and management of two campus locations of the IT Response Center (ITRC help desks). One is located on the lower level of the R.B. House Undergraduate Library, the other is on the first floor of the Student Academic Services Building (SASB-South). These two locations provide walk-in, phone, and support via the web as well as hardware repair services through the Computer Repair Center (CRC). Both locations provide IT support and services that are available to all Faculty, Staff and Students at UNC-Chapel Hill. Requests for support are received and processed on a 24-hour basis. The help desks receive approximately 120,000 service requests are received by the ITRC help desks each yea. These requests range from basic desktop software/hardware support questions to more advanced systems and networking issues. Types of support provided include, but are not limited to:
- First point of contact on campus for technical issues
- Software support for laptops, desktops, PDAs, peripherals and related applications, operating systems, connectivity, malware, and security issues
- Support for enterprise campus academic and administrative applications
- Coordination with, and support for individual departmental technical teams
- Documentation and reporting of failure or degraded performance of campus network components
- Documentation and reporting of network security issues
- Creation and maintenance of documentation residing on help.unc.edu
- Customer education on IT-related topics
- To resolve problems on initial contact
- 962-HELP: To answer calls within 60 seconds
- Web requests: acknowledge requests for help within 15 minutes
- Walk-in: acknowledge requests for help within 15 minutes
- Acknowledge critical requests for help within 15 minutes
Hours of AvailabilityPhone and web services are available on a 24 hour basis, including weekends and holidays. Walk-in service hours are dependent on the academic calendar. Please visit help.unc.edu/2083 for location of services provided and hours of operation.
All faculty, staff and students.