ITS offers a free Microsoft Exchange messaging service including email, calendaring, and task management.
- This resilient system allows ITS offer a highly available service to meet the needs of campus.
- Microsoft Outlook is the preferred client on Windows platforms.
- The IMAP protocol is also supported so that EMAIL clients such as Thunderbird can be used as well.
- Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) enables native support for Exchange in iCal and MacMail. Entourage and IMAP email clients are also supported on Mac.
- A rich webmail client in Outlook Web Access (OWA) is provided for Internet Explorer. A "light" version is currently provided for Firefox and Safari. ITS will offer a new version of OWA in fall 2010. This newer web client provides the same rich web experience in Firefox and Safari as well as Internet Explorer.
- Backup and Recovery - 14 days of online backups are available to the end user via a self-service restore tool provided in the Outlook client.
- Quotas/Limits - A personal mailbox quota of 2GB is in effect. A total single-message size limitation of 50MB is also in place. An opt-in, for-fee quota extension offering is available that will allow users to purchase additional quota.
- Shared mailboxes are offered for departments or other group email and calendaring needs.
- Resource/Room mailboxes provide an easy way to schedule the use of items; projectors, equipment, vehicles, rooms etc.
- Distribution lists provide a lightweight mailing list feature. Send to many recipients with one email address.
- World-class mobile device support. Supports Blackberry (BES) and ActiveSync devices natively.
Hours of Availability
This service is available 24x7.
Faculty, Staff, and certain professional students by departmental request
Customer is responsible for mailbox management, distribution list management, and adherence to the UNC Network Acceptable Use Policy.
How Do We Charge
- Faculty and Staff are provided a 2GB mailbox at no cost.
- A user can purchase additional quota in 5GB increments. The cost is $20 per year per 5GB increment. More information on quota extension can be found here: http://help.unc.edu/CCM3_025576.
- Blackberry (BES) service - one-time license charge of $75
- Active Sync Mobile Devices - Free
How To Request More Information On Or Request The Service
Please see our web site: http://www.unc.edu/exchange