Service DescriptionThis service is provided through the implementation and management of the Carolina Computing Initiative (CCI). This program, implemented in 2000, was designed to provide faculty, staff and students with easy access to high-quality and affordable laptop and desktop technology. Annually there are approximately 7,500 CCI computers delivered to campus customers, many of which have been made available through scholarships and departmental funding initiatives. This infusion of state-of-the-art technology has been critical in meeting the challenge to “level the playing field” by distributing technology as completely across campus as possible. Other practical benefits of the program include:
- Standardized PCs and Software Loads allowing for expedited service and repair
- Enhanced software imaging
- Entire upgrades of departmental computer resources
- Unified and/automated computer receiving and asset tracking
- Establishment of on-campus hardware repair services and software support
- Staggered life-cycling of College of Arts and Sciences computers
- Overall reduced cost to customers
Hours of AvailabilityCCI computers can be purchased by visiting cci.unc.edu on the web. Staff is available during regular business hours.
All faculty, staff and students interested in purchasing CCI equipment.